Sunday, August 8, 2010

Anticuchos, how I love you.





Hey folks-- so in my quest to eat my way through South America (and do a little research on the side), I've come across the first of many food challenges: Anticuchos. These are skewers of beef heart, heavily doused in a savory marinade, and grilled over an open flame.... and they are awesome. Somehow they come out with just the right amount of crisp on the outside and this tender little core, and the flavor extends all the way to the very center. Thinking about it right now already has me drooling again, even though I've had it for the past two nights running (maybe the third too??). For all my med school friends-- yes, you can see the trabeculae and the papillary muscle, and they're like little pockets for the sauce = more flavor.

Friday night we hit up Tio Mario's in Barranco, right on la Puente de los Suspiros (hold your breath as you walk over it for the first time) and a stone's throw away from the cliffs overlooking the ocean. The anticuchos were excellent, the aji spicy as all hell, and the corn GIGANTIC. Huge freakin kernels, people. For Saturday night, a lovely little barbecue with new friends Manuel and Nya, who acted as fantastic hosts while we grilled up anticuchos and chorizo in their patio. Pisco sours, Maracuya sours... I could go on and on but I'm getting hungry again.

The first week here has been a huge rush. Expect another post soon! Plenty of adventures so far.
Signing out--Dan


Thanks to www.thousandflavors.com on Flickr for the photos.

1 comment:

  1. "you can see the trabeculae and the papillary muscle, and they're like little pockets for the sauce = more flavor."

    that's the best description of food i've ever read. i can almost taste AND feel it at the tip of my tongue... send me some anticuchos!

    ReplyDelete