Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Out on the river



what does it mean to roll along the Amazon?

No anacondas, piranhas, crocodiles, or snakes..... just butterflies, birds, and sleek gray dolphins surfacing with a puff by your raft.

Frequent swim breaks in the coffee-with-milk colored water.

No sign of the opposite shore and a current that sneaks away from our grasp just as quickly as we can catch it again.

A song from a far-away raft hanging in the still air, until you add your own voices to it.

Dancing late at night with the locals in a river town, taking shots of some strange liquor as I try to translate Persian dancing to cumbia.

Waking up on a mass of lifejackets I placed between me and the growing puddle of rain from the thunderstorm outside.

The dreams. The heat. The slow drift of water beneath you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I really enjoy reading your reflections. Very insightful (and much better written than mine). Though they may not be thoroughly composed and edited, they seem like it...my wrtitings or more of the internet style ie streaming conciousness. Sucks that I'll be missing you in Lima!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete